[Ovirt-devel] Re: NIC bonding and failover...

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 19:40:10 UTC 2008

+++ Neil Wilson [07/09/08 10:10 +0100]:
>I would certainly suggest support for the Link Aggregation Control
>Protocal - LACP (which is mode 4 on the binding driver IIRC) for those
>cards and switches that support it. It makes the entire process
>completely automatic, very standard and link efficient.
>
>Only if that trunking fails (such as when there is no miimon or no
>LACP upstream switch) would I fall back to the more manual mechanisms.
>
>LACP is PXE for trunking and is supported on very cost effective
>switches. (HP 1800 8G for example).

Good suggestion. I've added that as a fourth option for how to bond the
interfaces, so it currently has:

Load Balanced    (mode=2)
Failover         (mode=1)
Broadcasting     (mode=3)
Link Aggregation (mode=4)

The mode is used by the future configuration controller when specifying how
to load the kernel model.

--
Darryl L. Pierce, Sr. Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. - http://www.redhat.com/