[Ovirt-devel] Re: NIC Bonding and Failover

+++ Daniel P. Berrange [11/09/08 15:53 +0100]:
To configure a node for bonding/failover/load balancing on the server, the
admin has to set a bonding type for the node. The choices are:

1. Load Balancing 2. Failover
3. Broadcast
4. Link Aggregation

Only one type can be set per-node.

Is that a limitation of the linux bonding driver, or an explicit design
choice ?

If I have a system with lots of NICs I could imagine that the storage
LAN might want a different bonding config from the guest LAN, from
the management LAN. Then again you could argue that in that case you can just set 2 pairs for each LAN all in Link Aggregation, which
effectively gives you load balancing/failover  upon failure anyway.

It was a design choice on my part to keep things simple initially. The way
things are configured currently we a single relationship of a host to a
bonding strategy. But it wouldn't be difficult to enhance that down the road
to allow multiple bonding strategies.

The user will then be able to select two or more NICs on that node and
enslave them to a bonded interface. To do that, they will:

1. create a bonded interface and give it a name and an interface name
2. select two or more NICs and associate them with the bonded interface

The next time the node boots, it will load the bonding module and pass in the
appropriate mode for the bonding type selected.

Questions?

Don't forget that we need to add briding ontop of that if the bonded pair
is to be used for the guest LAN. Potentially also bridges ontop of VLANs ontop of bonds.

Good point. That's still in the nics model, so when the augtool portion is
generated and there's a nic with a bridge then it's included.

--
Darryl L. Pierce, Sr. Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. - http://www.redhat.com/