Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Re: [Ovirt-devel] root access required?

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 12:03:21PM -0400, Perry N. Myers wrote:
Ben Guthro wrote:
In my endeavor to set up a build environment for our developers experimenting with oVirt / libvirt, I have come across a general dislike that the build of the ovirt managed node requires the user to be root.
[...]
The dependency on needing root is inherited from livecd-tools. So for us to remove root as a requirement for building this needs to be changed upstream. I'd start by posting questions/requests to the livecd mailing lists and see if the developers there can easily fix this.

Once root is not longer required for livecd-tools, we will be able to build everything in ovirt as non-root.

I would also LOVE to see livecd-creator not needing root.  Has anyone
talked to the livecd developers about this (email CC'd)?  I can't find
any recent discussion on their mailing list about it though.

FWIW, I've done a lot of work over the years on my livecd creation project (viros.org), and the main reason I worked on it instead of solely on livecd-creator was a strong personal preference on not requiring root. My method for succeeding involves using qemu/kvm appliances running just from a highly customized fedora-based initrd-only system. The result is that it is 6 odd times slower than livecd-creator, but it doesn't require root. Thinking about the pre/post-inst rpm scripts being run under the limited protection of a chroot in livecd-creator just doesn't sit well with me.

So it's definitely doable, but there is a price to pay. Several aspects that necessitated needing virtualization may now be doable via the fact that fuse is enabled by default for users. But I think there are still a few places you need root (virtualized or not, but not just fakeroot) to get the job done.

-dmc