Re: [Ovirt-devel] Modeling LVM storage

Chris Lalancette wrote:
sseago and I (and variously, other folks) had a somewhat longish conversation on
IRC today about carving up storage with LVM.  This is the second time we've
beaten this horse, so hopefully we are somewhat OK now.  The basic idea is that,
given an iSCSI LUN (and SCSI and FC LUNs in the future), we want to either:

1)  Assign the entire LUN to a guest (this is the way that ovirt works right now)
2)  Carve up the LUN using LVM, and then hand out individual logical volumes to
guests.

How do you plan to distinguish between LVM PVs/LVs created by ovirt/libvirt on iscsi LUNs from LVM PVs/LVs created by guest OSes on directly connected iscsi LUNs?  Just blindly running pvscan will run into all sorts of trouble.

Steve