Re: [Ovirt-devel] ovirt-docs repository

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 09:21:16AM -0400, Perry N. Myers wrote:
Chris and Susan:

Dan B. has suggested that it might make more sense for each document you generate to have it's own separate git repository with the same structure. So, instead of ovirt-docs, we'd currently have:

ovirt-doc-using-the-ovirt-admin-ui
ovirt-doc-ovirt-installation-guide

Or a little less verbose names...

   ovirt-doc-admin-ui-guide
   ovirt-doc-install-guide

Each document is probably a bad idea. However I do see some value in splitting similar documents along product lines. That means a git repository for all docs for a particular product (the appliance, the node, AOS/ADK). We intend to release documentation releases with each product version and release revisions for bug fixes and minor content updates. Forking docs with each product release is a Good Thing. As products are being released at different times it would be prudent to for docs at those times.

As for actual repository names those should be derivatives of the products they document. The present list:
ovirt-appliance-docs
ovirt-node-docs

We can add an aos-docs repository once we start writing said documents.

All documentation for each product should be stored in their respective repositories.

As for file and folder names we generally go for longer names. Readability and understanding are important to us :)

Chris
And as you generate more docs we'll create additional git repositories for them. This only makes sense if the docs src directories don't share a lot of common data. My understanding is the common data is all in the publican-ovirt package, so these all should be easily separable.

The only files the different docs directories would have in common would be the build Makefiles and other small build files.

Let me know if this makes sense and I'll split up the present ovirt-docs repo into two, one for each of the docs mentioned above.

Daniel