[Ovirt-devel] Ovirt QMF API Proposal

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 17:51:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 10:57 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> The idea of having a formal QMF API is very nice, but I can't help thinking
> it will limit the potential userbase of the API since you of course need to
> get a QMF api for your client. The really compelling thing about REST APIs
> is that they are immediately usable by any client which has web browsing
> capabilities - which is basically every device with a network connection
> these days. No extra/special client side software required.

Surely, both have their advantages; it's true that you can access the
REST API from anything that can make web requests (and handle XML) - but
to actually use the API you still need convenience wrappers around all
that so you can get from a VM to the hardware pool it's in without going
crazy.

> I could see a REST and QMF api co-existing - perhaps you could in fact
> write one in terms of the other to provide guarenteed parity of functionality
> between the two, and reduce the burden of having 2 apis.

I think in the longer run we'll have a REST API that is more focussed on
queries (which are easy + flexible with REST) and a small number of
generally useful tasks, and a QMF API for the heavy lifting.

David