[Ovirt-devel] host not shown in default hardware pool

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 13:01:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:49:33AM +0200, Ingmar Schraub wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to ovirt and please bare with me if my question has been asked
> before. I googled, studied the wiki and searched the bug list. But I
> couldn't find anything similar.
>
> I've just set up a new server with F10, fully patched and installed
> ovirt using the Rawhide build instructions.
>
> All seems to work nicely, but I am stuck at one point.
>
> After 'sudo ovirt-install-node-stateful' followed by a host reboot I
> started the appliance again. My problem is that the host is not shown at
> all in the default hardware pool. Any hints what's going wrong here?
> What could be missing that the appliance doesn't see my host?
> Networking, bridge, etc. is all ok.
>
> I had also to tweak /etc/httpd/conf.d/ovirt-server.conf because the
> ovirt-appliance httpd doesn't start with the config file provided. There
> is already a ticket open on bugzilla. (#489819).
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> regards,
>
> Ingmar

Hello there, and thanks for trying oVirt!

The Rawhide install instructions are a bit dated now (I need to update
them), and in fact I'm not sure they will work at all. The current
install instructions are at
http://ovirt.org/install-instructions.html, so you might want to read
those before going further.

Having said that, if you are operating on a single machine, the thing
that would prevent your host from showing up at all in the default
hardware pool could be two things: 1. a networking failure, or 2. your
host has only 1 NIC. We have recently found a bug in which
ovirt-identify-node, run from the ovirt-post init script, fails if
there is only one NIC on the machine.

You might try running ovirt-identify-node from the command line and
see if that makes the host show up.

Take care,
--Hugh