[Ovirt-devel] ovirt - web gui

Ingmar Schraub is at eseco.de
Wed Apr 22 14:59:33 UTC 2009

Hugh O. Brock wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 03:47:22PM +0200, Ingmar Schraub wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> last week I had an issue with the Kerberos authentication. Since then I
>> have tested a lot, deleted the whole thing, re-started, etc. Made some
>> progress, the Kerberos issue is gone. I'd like to document this and
>> share the info here. But first I want to be sure, I can reproduce it
>> again and see if my local change really works all the time.
>>
>> Today I faced a new problem.
>>
>> When I connect with the web browser to
>> http://management.priv.ovirt.org/ovirt, login in, I see the dashboard.
>> So far so good. However, when I click on "default", I get re-directed to
>> the dashboard, the "default" icon+text as well as the "Smart Pools"
>> icon+text disappears. Clicking again on Dashboard, gives me the icons back.
>>
>> Interestingly the "Smart Pools" menu works. I can add another smart
>> pool, click on "Add Host" and I can add my node (physical..). This time
>> it is shown as "available(enabled)".
>>
>> Clicking on this host after having it added to my Smart Pool, gives me a
>>  "404 Not Found" pop-up.
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea why the 'default' pool disappears/never shows
>> when clicking on the link?
>>
>> Last week when I had the Kerberos problem, the "default" pool worked
>> without problems.
>>
>> I hope that you don't mind that I ask here on this list. I know it is a
>> devel list not a users list. But I hope that some users feedback is
>> useful for you as well.
>>
>> Thanks a lot and regards,
>>
>> Ingmar
>
> Hi Ingmar, please feel free to post user questions here as we have no
> users list at the moment (hmm, I should add one).
>
> By default with ovirt-0.98, you have to use https to access the UI,
> and there is an automatic redirect from
> http://<management-server-URL>/ovirt to
> https://<management-server-URL>/ovirt/login. It's possible that is the
> problem you are having. Is it possible your apache isn't configured
> correctly for ssl?

Hello Hugh,

thanks for your help!!

Well, I am still on rawhide and probably you blame me now for this...

I have the following rpm's installed on my management system:
ovirt-release-0.99-0.fc10.20090422120055gitf5ff067.noarch
ovirt-server-installer-0.99-0.fc10.20090422120059git3ef3335.noarch
ovirt-docs-0.99-0.fc10.20090422120538gitb7cd200.noarch
ovirt-node-image-1.0.1-0.fc10.20090422120528git0fa11eb.x86_64
ovirt-server-0.99-0.fc10.20090422120059git3ef3335.noarch

Note: the /etc/httpd/conf.d/ovirt-server.conf file which comes with the
rpm is wrong. The httpd daemon does not start at all. I have attached it
to this e-mail, that you can have a look.

I 'fixed' (better hacked) it by making the following changes:
NameVirtualHost :80  -> NameVirtualHost _default:80
<VirtualHost :80>  -> <VirtualHost _default:80>
NameVirtualHost :443  -> NameVirtualHost _default_:443
<VirtualHost :443> -> <VirtualHost _default_:443>

With these changes, httpd starts and I have plain http, can login in and
see the dashboard.

If I replace _default_ with 192.168.50.2, I get re-directed to https,
but then after login in, the browser tells me "Redirect Loop
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this
address in a way that will never complete."

So that is one issue. On the other hand, my problem I described in my
previous e-mail seems not to be related to this one here.

Thanks, Ingmar