[Ovirt-devel] The oVirt networking UI

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 14:47:41 UTC 2009

Василец Дмитрий wrote:

>     Ok, I wouldn't worry about this particular case.  Running guests on
>     the host that runs the appliance is a complete hack only usable for
>     demos. Never meant to be used in production.
>
>     So I'd focus on running ifconfig -a on real Nodes
>

> What do you think about ovirt-appliance will be one of more virtual
> machines ?

We're focusing on bare metal server installations.  The appliance for the
time being will only be used for demos.

In bare metal ovirt server installs, we do allow the services to be
distributed.  For example, your FreeIPA server can be on one host, your
ovirt-server on another, and DNS/DHCP on a third.  This capability will be
expanded on over time so that even the components of ovirt-server can be
distributed (taskomatic, the database, the web front end) though that is a
little further off at the current time.

The general feeling is that the servers used to maintain a datacenter
composed of virtual machines is important enough that perhaps it itself
should not be a virtual machine.  I'm open to arguments against this line
of thinking, but I believe that's how we've been proceeding so far.

> And by wui will able migrate appliance between hosts.

There are no plans to support this at the current time.

> high availability mechanism  for monitor host's state and restart vm if
> host is crashed ?

We are working on building HA into the project so that oVirt Nodes and
guests running on Nodes can be HA.  HA will not extend to guests running
on the same host as the oVirt Appliance however, since if the Appliance
Host crashes all bets are off.  In order to provide HA you need to have a
dedicated host running the ovirt-server and your Nodes need to be separate
physical machines with hardware fencing capabilities.

Perry