[Ovirt-devel] Information Request - Networking spanning multiple physical machines

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 13:54:56 UTC 2009

� wrote:
> Good morning
>
> I have been following oVirt development for some time now.
> I just wanted to make a quick question about networking.
>
> I came across a project called VDE, Virtual Distributed Ethernet.
> It creates virtual networks that span across multiple physical machines
> for use with virtual infrastructures.
>
> Is oVirt capable of doing the same?
> Would there be an interest in integrating VDE with oVirt to enhance the
> Network functions of oVirt?
>
> Thank you all for your time.

Thanks for your interest in oVirt :)

Right now we don't have support for VLAN or VPN functionality, which is
what this sounds like.  We have discussed using open source tools like
Openswan to create a virtual network between a set of oVirt Nodes and that
is on the long term roadmap, but is still a while away.

However, if you want to lend a hand to accelerate the process we would
certainly welcome the help.

Thanks,

Perry