[Ovirt-devel] Re: oVirt server wui console integration

Jeremy Perry jeremy.perry at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 15:47:58 UTC 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Mohammed Morsi wrote:
>> Jeremy Perry wrote:
>>
>>> I've posted the mockups and descriptions mentioned here to the the
>>> ovirt.org wiki:
>>> http://ovirt.org/page/Terminal_UX
>>>
>>> one more comment below...

>>> I agree on the popup window, and will take a stab at it. As for the
>>> non-modal idea, this would be pretty cool to look at. Well executed
>>> examples in the wild is Google chat in gmail and the alerts/etc
>>> bar in
>>> facebook.
>>>

>> I also agree that the terminal in the details pane seems a bit
>> squished.
>> I'm not sure if we'd be able to do this immediately, but I'd think
>> we'd
>> also want to support terminal resizing at some point  in the future
>> (size saved in the user preferences system when we have it). I also
>> like
>> the idea of the non-modal dialog, perhaps we can 'minimize' it to the
>> dashboard so that a user can maintain active terminal sessions
>> between
>> uses of the ovirt wui.

>> Ya thats totally fine for the mockups, I might remove some of that
>> stuff
>> from the anyterm html that gets added to the project (its all gpl)
>> depending of how it works and what we need.
>>
>> In any case 'Close' will definetly be staying, 'copy' and 'paste'
>> might
>> be removed depending on if we can get that functionality without it,
>> 'Control Keys' will most likey be removed as they work without
>> needing
>> the drop down. I do like the 'pop out' action you added, and I'll
>> look
>> into seeing how the terminal location can be parametrized so that we
>> could put it in multiple locations.

>> Sounds good to me too.
>>
>>   -Mo

> How about a link to just the terminal (no-popup) so someone can just
> do "New Tab" in Firefox and get a nice large terminal?
>
> Tabs across the top may also not scale if a user has a bit too many
> VMs open (perhaps a drop down to select the VM, or multiple firefox
> tabs?)
>
> --Michael

That's reasonable, though I don't feel strongly about it. It seems one
way or another it is nice to give the user the ability to have a
dedicated tab or window per terminal if they want. I'm not sure you
can have that AND smaller popups from the same link, which would be
ideal. Looking at gmail's pop out for a mail message, you cant seem do
a new regular window/tab, which is too bad. I also dont know how they
get around popup blockers (but they do), which would be another
concern for us - we do not want to require you to disable them.

I guess the ultimate would be a new window link that behaves like this:
- you click it and you get a new popup window. Additional terminals
nest here
- you can right click and choose new full browser window/tab.

If we just have a normal link, the only issue is unintentional
navigation away from the main UI. So I think this is a case where it
makes sense to target a new window by default (used with caution - we
should make it clear on the link label). This is even better if we can
resize the terminal - right now it looks like you have to hard code
the # of columns and rows for Anyterm.