[Ovirt-devel] Installing a VM in oVirt 0.96

Carb, Brian A Brian.Carb at unisys.com
Thu Jan 29 19:50:23 UTC 2009

Installing a VM in oVirt

Appliance Host: Dell Optiplex 745, VT-capable, x86_64
Nodes: four cells of ES7000/one, each with 8x at 3.4GHz and 32GB memory

Downloaded and installed 0.96 release on top of Fedora10 as indicated in the documentation.
Successfully PXE booted 4 ES7000 nodes, and all show up in the oVirt dashboard.
Defined a storage pool using the /ovirtnfs share from the appliance at 192.168.50.2
Created a Virtual Machine using one of the NFS disks, 4cpu and 1024mb

However, I'm unable to install into that VM. If I launch the QEMU viewer as the VM launches, I can select the Fedora option from the PXE installer... but the fedora install always reports an error with the network interface. If I select retry, the install goes a little farther, downloading the install.img and running the installer. However the system hangs for a long time at "Retrieving installation information for f10-x86_64-updates..." and then fails at "Unable to read package metadata..."

Any ideas?

Also, I saw someone mentioned installation from an ISO - is this supported? Is it possible to use existing VM images? I might be able to specify "boot from HD" and then dd an existing image - but i was looking for a more official method :-)

brian carb
unisys corporation - malvern, pa
brian.carb at unisys.com