[Ovirt-devel] poweroff in vm causes the host to become unavailable

Ian Main imain at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 01:18:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:50:15 +1000
Justin Clacherty <justin at redfish-group.com> wrote:

> If  I ssh to a vm running Centos and then execute "poweroff" from within
> the vm, the vm shuts down as expected but the host in the admin ui
> becomes unavailable.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I haven't
> checked to see if other guest OS's do the same thing yet.
>
> The painful thing is that then I have to shutdown all the VMs and reboot
> both the host and the management server in order to be able to manage
> the system again.  I'm also still having problems with storage not
> working.  On reboot if I start a VM that was working it complains that
> it can't find the storage.  The only way I've been able to fix this is
> to delete all the VMs, delete all the attached storage then add the
> storage and VM again, a little painful.

Which version are you running?

There has definitely been issues with QMF not behaving properly in terms
of updating objects etc.  I've had a hard time tracking this down to
something specific however.  This is consistent and reproduceable?

The host becomes unreachable when the QMF libvirt object representing the
host is not available or the agent backing that object stops sending
heartbeats.

Can you run:

# ruby /usr/share/ovirt-server/qmf-libvirt-example.rb

And see if the host object in question shows up?  This program just lists
all hosts, vms, storage pools etc. that it can find every 5 seconds, so it
will print lots of output if left running.  Iterations are separated by a
line of dashes; eg '-----'.

Thanks!

    Ian