[Ovirt-devel] local disk FC san CLVM + migration of virtual machines

Dave Allan dallan at redhat.com
Wed May 20 21:45:11 UTC 2009

kc at cobradevil.org wrote:
> Hello all
>
> We are looking into ovirt for several weeks now and i have to say that it
> looks very promising.
>
> Our current environment is based on a lot off shell scripts and xen.
>
> We would like to move to ovirt but there are some things we would like to
> have working before moving.
>
> 1. using FC, san and clvm for storage

SAN storage is an active area of development in libvirt right now.
Libvirt currently has code that creates pools per HBA, which might do
part of what you want.  I'm currently just about done implementing
support for creating virtual adapters using NPIV, and I will be working
on multipath support after that.  Bear in mind that all this work is
just in libvirt right now.

Since it's an area that I'm actively working on, thoughts you have about
what you want to see are really helpful to me.  (I'm reading your other
email "Ovirt Storage SAN LVM support", and I'll respond to that
separately--what you want seems to me like very fundamental stuff that
is important to a lot of people, though.)

> 2. The ability to migrate virtual machines when we have to do maintenance
> on a physical host.

I'm not working on migration myself, but other people are.

Dave