[Ovirt-devel] Installing vm in ovirt

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri May 22 19:48:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 04:49:39PM +0200, Mike maarse wrote:
> Is this the network part  on the left of the server gui or on the node
> settings?
> If yes, how do i set this up wright?
>

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Hugh O. Brock <hbrock at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 04:37:47PM +0200, Mike maarse wrote:
> > > No i don't boot the vm in pxe just the node. I have 1 server as managed
> > node
> > > and 1 server to manage the node
> > > When i create a vm i select the cobbler profile i created (Fedora10).
> > > But then it will install the vm with the ip of the admin network
> > > (199.1.10.*).
> >

> > Hmm... what network did you assign the VM when you created it?
> >
> > --Hugh

OK so you have to do three things:

1. Create a "network" on the networks pane to serve as your guest
network. Here you name the network and define some basic things about it
-- is it dhcp or statically configured, what is the gateway, etc.

2. For each host you want to use this network, map one available nic to
it (click "edit networks" in the host details pane). Doesn't matter
which NIC you choose except that it has to actually be physically
connected to whatever network you want to use. For now you have to
reboot the host after you have done this (this will go away in the
future).

3. When you create VMs, choose your guest network as the network for the
VM. When the VM boots it will automatically get a vnic that uses the
appropriate bridge on the physical host it's deployed on.

I know this is not clear in the docs, I apologize -- it is new code.

Hope this helps,
--Hugh