[Ovirt-devel] RFC: Advanced Storage Configuration

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 17:51:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Ricardo Marin Matinata
<matinata at br.ibm.com> wrote:
> - Addition of a new top level install menu called "Advanced Storage
> Configuration" where one can select a storage device to which should the
> guest's images be stored.
> - Next to the device selection, creates a new volume group -
> HostVG-Images - to be mounted at /images
> - Perform adjustments do /var/lib/libvirt/images "mount binds"
> against /images

This sound good, I would just like to extend this and allow also
separation of swap LV into separate VG.
It also makes sense to organize all of these option as a sub-menu
under storage configuration.
One more aspect is to extend the syntax of "storage_vol" boot
parameter to support autoinstalls with advanced storage
configurations:

 storage_vol=<DISK>,<VG>,<LV>,<SIZE_MB>:...

instead of current format:
storage_vol=BOOT_MB:SWAP_MB:ROOT_MB:CONFIG_MB:LOGGING_MB:DATA_MB

Any other ideas what else should we have in the storage configuration sub-menu?

Alan