[Ovirt-devel] a couple of questions

Geoff O'Callaghan geoff at starbiz.com.au
Tue May 18 09:39:51 UTC 2010

On 15/05/10 11:47, Mike Burns wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 10:21 +1000, Geoff O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Hi There,

[snip]

>> Q2.
>>
>> I did a build of the ovirt git next branch and created the
>> ovirt-node-iso to test and I noticed that it had an unexpected result
>> related to thinking that my single  standard local sata drive was part
>> of a multipath configuration.  This was due to a null
>> /etc/multipath.conf file which is created specifically as part of the
>> node/recipe/common-post.ks
>>
>> What is the plan in this area?   Will multipath enablement be forced or
>> as an option to enable it on the ovirt-config-storage menu?
>
> Multipath is the default for all devices that have wwids.  As of now,
> there is no plan to change this.  The decision to use multipath for all
> devices if possible makes the setup much cleaner and doesn't introduce
> any negatives that I see.  It might be possible to make it configurable,
> but I don't think that it's trivial to do so.

ok, that's fine and is probably a wise choice given the environment
ovirt is likely to find itself :)

Anyway, the problem with my system is definitely related to how the
multipath device gets set up as you can see in the attached log.

>> Q3.
>>
>> If I change common-post.ks to add a /etc/multipath.conf with a blacklist
>> of '*' it then correctly identifies my local drive for the install -
>> however, when doing the storage allocation it gets the sizes wrong so
>> there is a calculation bug somewhere.  I didn't see it in bugzilla so
>> it's either a new  bug or something wrong with my specific setup or both
>> :)   Is it something someone has noticed?
>
> I haven't noticed any calculation errors recently, though I admit that I
> haven't looked that closely recently.  When using multipath, do you see
> the same issue?
>
> Can you provide the ovirt.log file from the install that shows the
> incorrect size?

The incorrect size came when I had a multipath.conf file that
blacklisted '*'.

In the case of the ovirt.log file attached I am running a vanilla build
from the git next branch.

As you can see from the log it makes a bit of a mess of it.  To
supplement the log I have:

[root at localhost ~]# multipath -ll
1ATA     WDC WD1200JB-00FUA0                     WD-WCAES102461 dm-1
ATA,WDC WD1200JB-00F
size=112G features='0' hwhandler='0' wp=rw
`-+- policy='round-robin 0' prio=1 status=active
   `- 6:0:0:0 sda 8:0 active ready running

[root at localhost ~]# dmsetup ls --target=multipath
1ATA     WDC WD1200JB-00FUA0                     WD-WCAES1024619	(253, 1)

and attached as log.txt I have the output of a bash -x ovirt-config-storage

ps.  sorry about the delay getting back to you - hopefully you can spot
the problem.