[Ovirt-devel] RFC: ovirt-node ISO

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 10:48:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Perry Myers <pmyers at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Size.  We're currently looking at something around 130MB for the ISO
>> with minimizer and probably around double that without it (I don't have
>> one built currently without the minimizer so I don't have the actual
>> size).

RHEL-6 based image is 130MB, Fedora 16 ISO is 150MB (we have more
packages in the ovirt)
Fedora image w/o minimizer is around 250MB.

> I vote for keeping blacklisting enabled in ovirt.org ISO for two reasons:
>
> 1. I'd like to push Fedora to change this policy over time.  But first
>   we just need to get the node into Fedora w/o blacklisting...

Yeah, we could argue image minimization techniques are already in
Fedora: anaconda initramfs images are selectively including drivers,
and dracut is also including files via whitelist (inst command in
/usr/share/dracut/modules.d/*/install)

Proper way is to change RPM packages and create subpackages for
independently usable parts
but IIRC that was rejected for the kernel RPM which is the biggest
part of our blacklisting.

> 2. The RHEVH product uses blacklisting and I would rather that

you mean, rather _not_

>   blacklist only be enabled in the product since that reduces our
>   chances of catching errors elsewhere

I'd vote for ISO w/o image minimizer, built directly in koji, but
since we're not accepted as Fedora Spin yet (and I'm in minority)
let's go with minimized ISO.

Alan