RE: passwd

Morgan's statement may be a bit misleading.

The actual passwd+ code for strength testing the passwords is complete
and functional. I am not aware, or perhaps have forgotten if I was
informed, of any problems with the code. If I missed something, then I'll
fix it.

The password changing logic is part of the UNIX authentication code and
from what I last heard had some problems. Alex has probably solved them
by now.

I have no object to doing a 'npasswd' code module. I just don't feel that
there is a real benefit to having something which simply says that the
password must be 6 characters long and not contain a ^ character. I like
the concept of the rules which are in the passwd+ code over a simple set
of parameters that are used in npasswd.

The same can be said of using the passwd code from the shadow package
which has the same logic as npasswd, to perhaps an arguably lesser
degree. However, it does centralize the configuration logic into the
/etc/login.defs file which is good.

However, to each his own. That is one of the benefits to PAM. I can use
my passwd+ code. You can use npasswd. The results will be the same for
both of us.

If you do wish to do a npasswd module, then you may wish to look at the
existing passwd+ code for a model.

I do have one request however, and that is that people who distribute the
package (as, for example, RedHat when they build their distribution to
use PAM) also include the passwd+ module code with it. You don't need to
hook it into the /etc/pam.conf file, but at least include it with the
rest of the modules. Please just don't 'pick and choose' what you will
package with a distribution. That is not fair.