Information on pam

Hi all.  I found some documentation on pam at Sun, but can't find it again.
Can someone direct me to where I can find out what pam actually does, how to
use it, how to add additional support, etc?

What advantages does it serve?

Anyone want to give me a history of why it was created?  I'm asking this
question because I'm interested in knowing if it is actually going to be a
standard, if its not already.

Thanks,
Dave