Linux Fedora Core 2: Password, Login, and Pam

Browder, Tom Tom.Browder at fwb.srs.com
Thu Dec 16 20:41:14 UTC 2004

I added your patch, recompiled, and copied the new pam_tally.so into
/lib/security over the old one.

It seems to find excess failures, and apparently returns PAM_AUTH_ERR,
but how do you get the system to react?  I see the excesses noted in
/var/log/messages but no other system response:  further login attempts
with a good password are accepted, and the tally in /var/log/faillog is
not reset after a successful login.

I made these entries to /etc/pam.d/system-auth (should they be the first
entries?):

# login attempts:
auth        requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so onerr=fail
deny=2
Account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so reset

Thanks.

Tom Browder
SRS Technologies, Inc.
362 Beal Parkway, N.W., Suite 201