Pam configuration files

Heiko Hund heiko at ist.eigentlich.net
Wed Feb 25 18:48:37 UTC 2004

Hey Boris,

> Now it is even more interesting. I wrote a sample module and I printed out
> the PAM_SERVICE item for FTP connection and it was "ftp" and not "ftpd"
> So what is it a typo in the Administration Guide?

not at all. Every PAM enabled application chooses its own service name.
Therefore it could be anything. It is only a convention to choose the
name of the app. Obviously your ftpd chose `ftp' as a service name. That
also is why the file in /etc/pam.d is named `ftp' and not `ftpd'. If you
dislike that, you may recompile the ftpd with a service name you like.

Greetings
Heiko
  of course they say every atom of our body was once part of a star
  maybe I'm not leaving, maybe I'm going home