pam_cracklib.so no workie - eeek!

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Fri Mar 5 16:09:16 UTC 2004

Greetings all,

	I'd be very grateful for some pointers on this problem I'm having
with our mail server - I'm stumped.
	I'm beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why my
mail server is accepting dictionary-based passwords, seemingly, all of a
sudden.
	It's a RH 7.2 box, with lots of 7.3 enhancements on it.
	I've got the following RPM's on here relevant to the situation:

		pam-0.75-46.7.2
		cracklib-2.7-15
		cracklib-dicts-2.7-15
		passwd-0.67-3

	and here's what my /etc/pam.d/passwd file contains:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

	here's what's in my /etc/pam.d/system-auth

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

	The cracklib thang *should* work, but at this point the box will
accept anything of sufficient character length - regardless of whether
it's a word.
	Any ideas or hints? Heck, make fun of me.
	Thank you VERY MUCH in advance for any help anyone can find the
time to offer!

--

Brett Charbeneau, Network Administrator         Tel: 757-259-7750
Williamsburg Regional Library                   FAX: 757-259-7798
7770 Croaker Road                               brett at wrl.org
Williamsburg, VA 23188-7064                     http://www.wrl.org