Problem with user root

Joe Lewis joe at joe-lewis.com
Fri May 21 15:34:49 UTC 2004

I did a quick search on google using "pam_ldap down root access", and the
first link provided the following information :

[...snip...]
  account     [ authinfo_unavail=ignore ignore=ignore success=ok
default=bad ]\
                            /lib/security/pam_ldap.so ignore_unknown_user

  authinfo_unavail=ignore: if the LDAP server dies, pam_ldap will
    return the error code 'authinfo_unavail.'  If this code is not
    ignored, then even root won't be able to log in.

In YOUR configuration, you had service_err=ignore, and system_err=ignore,
but no authinfo_unavail=ignore.  Put this in and see if things work
better.  Perhaps this is what you are experiencing?

Joe