recent update to pam causing non-root ssh logins to fail?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 25 11:53:10 UTC 2004

  recently, my fedora core 2 system started rejecting ssh logins to my
non-root account on that system.  if, from a remote system, i ssh to
root, no problem.  if i ssh to my regular account, the connection is
closed.

  checking /var/log/secure, i see

Nov 25 06:50:49 localhost sshd[2628]: pam_succeed_if: requirement "uid
< 100" not met by user "rpjday"
Nov 25 06:50:49 localhost sshd[2628]: Accepted password for rpjday
from ::ffff:10.1.1.155 port 33300 ssh2
Nov 25 06:50:49 localhost sshd[2632]: fatal: PAM session setup
failed[6]: Permission denied

  i don't ever recall this being an issue before.  is this new?
(perhaps the result of a yum update?)  i can see the culprit entry in
the file /etc/pam.d/system-auth:

 account sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_succeed_if.so uid < 100

which clearly is what allows me to ssh in as root, but not as me.
should i simply change that value?  or is there a cleaner way to do
this?  thanks.

rday