statically linked pam?

Joe Lewis joe at joe-lewis.com
Fri Oct 22 11:14:06 UTC 2004

Justin F. wrote:
> I have been given the daunting task of putting a 3rd party pam module
> into rpm format, the catch is that it needs to be statically
> compiled, easy enough right? Well I looked around and the
> documentation on this is rather lacking- here's what I need to do as
> I understand it:

Call me crazy (I'm not the foremost expert on RPM packaging), but why
not dynamic linking?  Can't you just do dependencies for the external
libs you need, and drop the module in place?  Perhaps there is more to
the packaging stuff than I realize, but I'd almost do the dynamic
linking so that you aren't stuck with one specific version of a lib,
right?  *note, my naivity is probably REALLY showing through right now.*

Joe