SUMMERY about Client Problem

Tay, Gary Gary_Tay at platts.com
Wed Sep 22 06:29:12 UTC 2004

Anyone just correct me if I am wrong.

Do not set a "Manager" binddn in LDAP Client's /etc/ldap.conf file and
expose the bindpw, try to use a different binddn object which has less
ACL rights especially when Manager can change anything including
userPassword, LDAP client will try to bind as anonymous if binddn/bindpw
are not defined.

Because it is binding as "Manager", it succeeded always even if there is
any ACL at the server.

RedHat's authconfig has an "operation" issue, it WILL ALWAYS OVERWRITE
/etc/pam.d/system-auth (instead of incremental change) and MAY OVERWRITE
/etc/ldap.conf if u define LDAP Authentication stuff, it may also make
changes to /etc/nsswitch.conf and at the end restart nscd.

Due to this, if u have customized or bug fix changes to /etc/ldap.conf,
u hv to do the "step two" u called, manually.

Gary