Seg faults (Was Re: MuscleCARD PAM (Smartcards))

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Thu Sep 30 04:32:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, Bruce Barnett wrote:

> Does anyone have advice on chasing down seg faults?
> I'm using syslog as a debug tool, and when I execute the line
>
>  return PAM_AUTHINFO_UNAVAIL;
>
> I get a SEGV (#11) signal.
> I don't even get a core dump to analyze the problem.
> I'm not sure how to debug this.

syslog is not in sync with the execution code of the calling program.
So I would use printf and not syslog for debugging.

But if the program seg.faults after you leave the module, on of the
the pam_set_item/pam_get_item calls are very often wrong.

Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk at suse.de
SuSE Linux AG        Maxfeldstr. 5                 D-90409 Nuernberg