Password Strength and Aging checking w/NIS

Ted Beaton tbeaton at plansysit.com
Fri Apr 22 18:04:41 UTC 2005

Jan Rekorajski wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Ted Beaton wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know how to get NIS to use pam for password strength
>>checking and password aging?  All I've been able to get it to do is use
>>pam for authentication/login.
>

> There is a 'nis' option to pam_unix.so, so you can just use pam on
> clients as usual, just tell pam_unix in password section to do the
> change via NIS.
>
> Jan

Are you talking about the following line in the /etc/pam.d/system-auth
file?

<<password sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so use_authtok md5
shadow nis>>

My testing has shown that all this does is tell the client machine to
use the nis files on the nis server for authentication.  When the user
on the client machine runs yppasswd to change their password, pam never
even gets involved.

All information contained in this email is confidential and may be used by the intended recipient only.