pam_tally with sshd: ssh password-based failures not tally'd

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 10 02:23:17 UTC 2005

George Hansper wrote:
[...]
>>    For Mandrake 10.1, 'MaxAuthTries N' allows 'N+1' tries, and never
>> allows more than 3 tries anyway.

That a feature of the client, not server.  From the ssh_config(5) man page:

  NumberOfPasswordPrompts
      Specifies the number of password prompts before giving up.  The
      argument to this keyword must be an integer.  Default is 3.

[...]
> Fedora Core 3 (openssh-server 3.9p1-7) has started giving me the same
> strange behaviour as Mandrake:
>
>     MaxAuthTries 1
>
>  > ssh george at 127.0.0.1
> Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 2: Too many authentication failures
> for george
>
> ie before I can enter a password!

... but, most likely, after the client has attempted some other
authentication (eg hostbased or a key supplied by an agent).

Try "ssh -vvv yourserver" to see what it's doing and/or "ssh -o
PreferredAuthentications=password yourserver" to force it to attempt
only password auth.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.