Problem writing module

Jason Gerfen jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu
Fri Jan 21 16:15:39 UTC 2005

Look in the log files on your system and you might get some good
debugging information if the module has a logging function coded into it
already.  If you need an easy to use logging function for your module
look in the source for the Linux-PAM package's other modules.

Thiago Silva wrote:

>Hello all.
>I'm currently developing a module for PAM and having some difficulties.
>First, the module is linked with the NSS lib (from mozilla). Trying it on
>login, wverything runs well, pam_sm_authenticate() returns PAM_SUCCESS, and
>there comes the problem. The login locks for some time, and then, prints a
>message of time out, showing the login prompt again. I have no idea why is
>this happening. I've tried to substitude the module's code for the
>pam_permit.c code, wich gave me another error: "Login incorrect" (the
>pam_sm_authenticate wasn't called and I assume that was because the little
>code was linked to the NSS lib and something went wrong when loading the
>module)...Does anyone know this behaviour or can help me debugging?? I have
>no idea how to debug the login...
>
>Also, I did a little program that uses this module, and, pam_authenticate()
>returns PAM_SUCCESS, and then, the shell is available again. So, nothing
>strange here. Only when using it with login.
>
>Thanks in advance

Jason Gerfen
Student Computing
Marriott Library