Does AuthPAM_FallThrough work?

I can't seem to get AuthPAM_FallThrough to work in mod_auth_pam 1.1.1 (Apache
1.3.33).

I have the following configuration in .htaccess:

AuthPAM_FallThrough on
AuthType Basic
AuthName "my private page"
AuthUserFile /home/pei/public_html/restricted/.htpasswd
require valid-user

And the following for the server:

LoadModule pam_auth_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_auth_pam.so
LoadModule auth_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_auth.so

Depending on the order of the LoadModule directives, only the UserFile
authentication or the PAM authentication works, namely the one from the
module loaded last.  But I can't seem to get them to work together.

Does anyone have a configuration that works?