Re: Pam-list Digest, Vol 16, Issue 15

Fabrizio,

let me add some comments:

1) I think the question is why after pam_start, the function pam_get_item(..., PAM_SERVICE,..), doesn't return the name of the real loaded service? I sow in the source of xscreensaver the same comment about this problem.

pam_get_item() on client side (what the user program calls) is not the same as pam_get_item() you see on the module side (though it's in fact much the same code). It returns to you (the user) willingly just what you put in, _NOT_ what it makes from your input. Remember User/Modules are quite like Client/Server.

However: if anybody outside konws a dirty trick to do this without a
SUID helper, please let me know, maybe alas we found the circle's
quadrature.

2) Yes. This was an option that I tried. But I saw that xscreensaver have the same problem, so it must be a solution without start a Sbit program (maybe?)!

Of cousrse this has to be a SUID helper program, because all the PAM client calls run in the context of the calling user.

Regards Andreas
--
Dr.-Ing. Andreas Schindler

Alpha Zero One Computersysteme GmbH