how does pam_putenv() work?

Kent Wu kwu at xsigo.com
Thu Jun 30 01:47:37 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

	I'm still fairly new to the PAM world. I'm writing a pam
module now and tried to set up some environment variables for SSHD
by calling pam_putenv() inside the pam_sm_authenticate() call however
it never works. After the user is logged in through SSH, "env"
command never showed those variables I intended to set. The sshd file
under /etc/pam.d looks like this,

auth       required     ims_pam.so
account    required     ims_pam.so
password   required     ims_pam.so
session    required     ims_pam.so

where ims_pam.so is the pam module I wrote. I reviewed

The System Administrators' Guide
The Module Writers' Manual
The Application developers' Manual

but didn't find anything reltaed to this issue. I also tried to move
the pam_putenv() call into pam_sm_setcred() but it didn't work
either. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

-Kent