PAM newbie

Philippe C. Martin pmartin at snakecard.com
Tue Nov 8 16:18:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am attempting to write a windows-GINA-like logon manager for GNU/Linux:
gdk/kmd/xdm + smart card support.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthn/security/gina.asp

To make things simple :-) I intend to write most of it in Python (I have found
this PAM wrapper: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/python/python2.3-pam.

The architecture should be gdm-like:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/gdmtalk.pdf with a smart card event manager
added: www.snakecard.com/WordPress.

My current understanding is (simplified):

rc.local launches my "gdm" which in turn forks the various daemons:
1) smart event manager
2) greater (gdm uses two layers) here

Simple sequence of event:
1) the PC boots and a "regular" logon dialog box (username + password) is
displayed (this is the greater)
2) the user inserts a card, the dialog box is replaced by another one which
requests a PIN code
3) the greater calls an external module  that authenticates the cards, gives
it the PIN code, retrieves username and password and logs on.

Is that external module a PAM module ?

Where should I start to study PAM ?

Regards,

Philippe