pam/nss

Dear Experts,

I successfully set up an ldap server and some clients can
authenticate.
What I am wondering about is the pam setup:
I thought that the pam_unix2 module does the usual getXbyY calls using
glibc/nss. But unless I specify the pam_ldap module in the pam config.
I cannot log in.

Is there a document describing the layout?

Many thanks and best regards,
Alec