How to return a LDAP handle through PAM

I am trying to write a pam module that can authenticate a user using
LDAP and then return that authenticated LDAP handle back to the calling
application.  I can't find any away to pass information, other than
text, between the application and the module.

Is there a way to pass name=value pairs that are not text between the
module and the application?  Can the void *appdata_ptr in the
conversation structure be used to pass this information?

Thanks,
Greg