unable to change root password

Tony cshtreck at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 05:01:26 UTC 2006

The root password on my machine got changed during a
recent upgrade and then was forgotten. The system is a
64-bit intel running 2.6.9-11.ELsmp.

No problem (I thought) , I just rebooted w/ a fedora
64-bit rescue disk (already onhand), mounted all
partitions, chrooted and used passwd to reset the root
password and rebooted . New root password works just
fine.

Only problem is now I can't change the password for
root.
[root ~]# passwd root
Changing password for user root.
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: Authentication failure
[root ~]#

No problems logging in as root or su'ing to root.
Never had any issues like this before .
I also can't change the password for any other user:

[cshtreck at localhost ~]$ passwd
Changing password for user cshtreck.
Changing password for cshtreck
(current) UNIX password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

nothing in /etc/pam.d was touched ?!?
nothing about PAM in my logfiles either.

any hlp apprec!