when is a user really logged out (pmvarrun)

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Mon Nov 20 16:02:22 UTC 2006

Am Montag, 20. November 2006 16:38 schrieb Jon Miller:
> I tend to think you're best solution would be one that didn't require that
> external program to be running and maintaining login status. Doing some
> quick research, I believe using utmp should be able to give you an accurate
> count of who's logged in and therefore be able to give you a count of the
> remaining sessions for your particular user. Take a look at utmp(5).

Looking at utmp isn't enough. think of cronjobs / at-jobs or user leaving
active processes behind them. I think, these processes should find the
filesystem, too.

That was one of the reasons why I created the pam-cifs as an alternative to
pam-mount. pam-cifs looks for active user processes. If there are any,
umounting is postponed.