How to telnet supports PAM

An Thien killua_bk at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 05:31:29 UTC 2006

Dan Yefimov <dan at ns15.lightwave.net.ru> wrote: An Thien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 1.  I built Inetutils
> (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/inetutils.html)
> that includes telnetd. I built it to support PAM (--with-pam).
> 2.  I configured to telnet support PAM as following
> In pam.d/telnet
> auth          required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
> account     required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
> password  required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
> session     required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>
> When I telnet to this server, I still login to this server. I think
> pam_deny.so isn't run.
> 3. What wrong in this case? Is there a way to telnet support PAM?

Are you sure you've named PAM configuration file correctly? It's name must be
exactly the same as telnetd PAM service name. You should consult with either
documentation coming with inetutils package or even telnetd source about the
correct PAM service name.
--

Sincerely Your, Dan.
Hi Dan,

I think telnetd isn't support PAM because
1.  According to PAM documentation, when I remove PAM configuration file for telnetd (/etc/pam.d/telnet), it will be used 'other' configuration file (/etc/pam.d/other)
In pam.d/other
auth          required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
account     required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
password  required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
session     required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so

But when I telnet to this server, I still login to this server.

2.  I tried to test telnetd on fedora core 6. The same problem occured. (The telnetd on fedora core 6 doesn't support PAM).

If can, would you solve me how to configure telnetd support PAM on fedora core 6?

Thanks in advance.
An.