what is the file /etc/pam_smb.conf means?

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Fri Nov 23 18:23:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:14:24PM -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:
> >in my linux system,there is a directory pam.d and a file
> >/etc/pam_smb.conf.
> /etc/pam.d is where your main pam configuration is stored, it is
> essential, do not remove it.  /etc/pam_smb.conf is used to configure the
> pam_smb_auth.so pam module that can be used to do NT4 style authentication
> against a Windows domain.

No, pam_smb_auth does *Windows 95*-style authentication against a remote
Windows server.  There are important differences in the on-the-wire security
of the two methods.

> Unless you are using pam_smb_auth.so in your pam configuration it is not
> needed.

It's also not needed if you use the secure pam_winbind module from Samba
instead. :)

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/