Apache PAM Auth module

Peter webwiz at pl.net
Wed Apr 2 21:38:44 UTC 2008

There seems to be view around that the apache2 module development situation is quote "a real mess". Anyway be aware that under Debian Etch (and Lenney) there are ongoing issues with mod_authn_dbd when running with mysql, and to a lesser extent pgsql.

See :

I spent a nightmare of a couple days trying first to get mod-auth-mysql, then mod-auth-pam + libpam-mysql as well as mod-authn-dbd to run under Debian Etch. The latter straight out just doesnt support mysql, and also its deb package fails to load the required dep mod_dbd. The former is no longer is maintained and no longer compiles. I eventually got mod-auth-pam + libpam-mysql to work despite an more or less vaccum in the documentation dept.

Following the guide here:
http://dev.e-taxonomy.eu/trac/wiki/ApacheMySQLAuthentication

got me into trouble. I sent the below erata to the author:

Regards

Peter

Thanks for providing this page, but unfortunately it is presently a liability. The errors are as follows, i would be grateful if you could correct them.

"Next, we have to configure the PAM-MySQL module for Apache2. Edit /etc/pam.d/apache2, add the following line setting the values such as they match your configuration

auth sufficient pam_mysql.so verbose=1 user=webuser passwd=  host=160.45.63.30 db=drupal5 table=drupal5._shared_users usercolumn=drupal5._shared_users.name passwdcolumn=drupal5._shared_users.pass crypt=3"

should read:

"Next, we have to configure the PAM-MySQL module for Apache2. Edit /etc/pam.d/apache2, replace whats there with the following 2 lines setting the values such as they match your configuration

auth sufficient pam_mysql.so verbose=1 user=webuser passwd=  host=160.45.63.30 db=drupal5 table=drupal5._shared_users usercolumn=drupal5._shared_users.name passwdcolumn=drupal5._shared_users.pass crypt=3

account sufficient pam_mysql.so verbose=1 user=webuser passwd=  host=160.45.63.30 db=drupal5 table=drupal5._shared_users usercolumn=drupal5._shared_users.name passwdcolumn=drupal5._shared_users.pass crypt=3"

Add note to effect:

Pam-mysql project is currently no longer maintained and the documentaiton is poor. Good luck!