Problem with pam_ldap

Nuno Manuel Martins nuno.mmartins_externo at sonae.com
Tue Apr 8 16:06:42 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am currently using OpenLDAP for authentication and seems I'm having some troubles explaining PAM what it should be doing. I get this error when trying to login with an ldap user trough ssh:

Apr  8 16:38:16 rh01 sshd[11045]: debug1: userauth-request for user myuser service ssh-connection method password
Apr  8 16:38:16 rh01 sshd[11045]: debug1: attempt 1 failures 1
Apr  8 16:38:17 rh01 sshd[11044]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): check pass; user unknown
Apr  8 16:38:17 rh01 sshd[11044]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=rh01.localdomain
Apr  8 16:38:17 rh01 sshd[11044]: pam_succeed_if(sshd:auth): error retrieving information about user myuser
Apr  8 16:38:19 rh01 sshd[11044]: debug1: PAM: password authentication failed for an illegal user: User not known to the underlying authentication module
Apr  8 16:38:19 rh01 sshd[11044]: Failed password for invalid user myuser from 127.0.0.1 port 42064 ssh2

So it seems he just doesn't recognize the user (stored in LDAP directory). I had this working before but then I made some changes to try to make the pam files more readable and now they never got back to working ... :)

Here is my system-auth file in /etc/pam.d
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     required      pam_unix.so broken_shadow
account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account     required      pam_permit.so

password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok try_first_pass use_authtok
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so
session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in crond quiet use_uid
session     required      pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

And here is sshd file in the same directory
#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
auth       include      system-auth
account    sufficient      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account    include      system-auth
password   required        /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
password   include      system-auth

session    sufficient      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

password    sufficient    pam_unix.so ssha shadow nullok try_first_pass use_authtok

session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      system-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so

As part of the "file clean-up" I was only using the "include" directives but since it stopped working I reverted back to explicitly telling what module to use... still doesn't work though. Can anyone see why SSH doesn't even try to authenticate against the OpenLDAP directory?

Thank you,
Nuno