pam + ldap: pulling my hair out

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Jun 3 14:25:53 UTC 2009

I've been trying to figure out how to get pam authentication working
with ldap.  From what I've read, it should "just work".  In my case, it
"just fails".

No matter what I try, I get

Jun  3 06:16:42 selene dovecot-auth: pam_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP
server...
Jun  3 06:16:42 selene dovecot-auth: pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't
contact LDAP server

I get this with every service I try; not just imap.

I've turned on debugging in ldap; pam is not connecting to the ldap
server at all.

AFAICT, I have all of my pam modules set up correctly; at least I've
followed the debian pam + ldap wiki and it all seems to make sense,
except that pam never tries to actually connect to port 389.
/etc/pam_ldap.conf has all the correct uri for the ldap server.

Is there some way to turn on debugging in pam?  Some way to see what
it's doing?  A way to examine the modules it's using?

Thanks,

--Yan

--
Yan Seiner