diff between "include" directive and use of pam_stack.so?

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Sat Oct 16 13:09:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   perhaps just my inexperience with PAM but i'm reading an online PAM
> tutorial here:
>
>   http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/AUnix2/PAM-Help.htm
>
> and it mentions the use of the pam_stack.so module to support
> recursive(?) processing.  on my centos 5.5 system, "man pam_stack"
> appears to describe it much the same way.
>
>   but how does this differ from simply "include"ing another PAM config
> file?

Exactly that's the difference: pam_stack is recursive, include
is including. Means there is no difference if you use include or
put the modules into the config file, but there is a big difference
if you use pam_stack (return value of all pam modules only count
for pam_stack).

> and, as you can see, all of those uses are commented out.  so is
> pam_stack.so even used anymore?  thanks.

pam_stack was RedHat/Fedora only, meanwhile replaced by include.

  Thorsten

GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)