[Patternfly] Forms/ widget requirement

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 15:52:22 UTC 2014

Not disagreeing with either of you on questioning a requirement. I think we should NOT assume every thing as a de facto requirement to be accommodated in the pattern. However, I think this discussion highlights a process question - Do responses to call for pattern requirements from Patternfly need to be validated BEFORE they are reported to Patternfly or does the Patternfly team do that?

At this time, I am only highlighting current usage of the pattern or pattern variant in Ovirt as-is for consideration (Many of these have not necessarily passed through any UX review before). My understanding is that as long as we make the team working on a pattern aware of current forms of use, there will be an analysis of these and a determination will be made on which of these are true requirements worth 'standardizing' with consistent interaction pattern. This is the analysis that is reviewed early in the requirements phase. IMHO, in the spirit of encouraging max response from everyone and not having siloed analysis and too much early filtering, I think it is almost better for people to just pump in examples that they think applies and a qualified and interested team can then compare and contrast and come up with a determination about moving forward with it or letting the person who reported it know that they should consider other ways to deal with the requirement or treat it as a unique use case. In fact, bad examples can potentially inform some guidelines that can be added to the pattern in terms of how NOT to use it which is just as valuable for the pattern consumer.

I am willing to help in any analysis that will need to be done in the form of product specific follow-ups or across product comparisons for this pattern or any other.

Thanks
Malini