[Patternfly] Reconsidering website text size

Jeremy Perry jeperry at redhat.com
Wed May 6 17:35:10 UTC 2015

Whenever I look at a page on patternfly.org <http://patternfly.org/> I am struck by how small the copy is.12px seems to be a bit too small for comfortable content reading nowadays [1]. I understand the site itself uses patternfly styles which were designed for app interfaces, but to me this size feels small and quiet when used for body copy.

Any other opinions on this? What do you guys think about bumping it up to 14 at least?

Jeremy

[1] http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/05/17/typographic-design-patterns-practices-case-study-2013/ <http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/05/17/typographic-design-patterns-practices-case-study-2013/>

The norm in web copy seems to be 14 or 16pt, and this may be as much a trend as it is a response to higher density displays. In general usage, I have a hard time finding sites using less than 14pt.