[Patternfly] jQuery Dependency

Patrick Riley priley at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 17:22:46 UTC 2016

The jQuery community has recently introduced jQuery v3, a slimmer, much
faster jQuery which removes IE6-8 support and older IE work arounds.

https://blog.jquery.com/2016/06/09/jquery-3-0-final-released/

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the way you look at it), jQuery
v3 no longer adds a compatibility option, “jquery Compat”, for IE8. This is
due to the fact that Microsoft officially dropped support for IE8-10
earlier this year. jQuery v3 should work fine in IE9+ browsers however.

https://blog.jquery.com/2016/01/14/jquery-3-0-beta-released/

We’ve been taking some steps in Patternfly to ensure our plugin ecosystem
is compatible with v3 and diagnosing the jQuery migration steps. Most of
our plugins and tools should work fine with the exception of the following:
bootstrap-datepicker, bootstrap-select, bootstrap-treeview, datatables, and
jQuery-match-height.

As of now, we are preparing to apply fixes to for bootstrap-datepicker and
bootstrap-treeview in coming releases, and have reached out to the upstream
communities supporting the others. We are making it a goal to have all
plugins be supported in jQuery v2 and v3.

Before we consider introducing jQuery v3 to Patternfly, we’d like to gather
some feedback. What version of jQuery does your app currently use?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

*Patrick Riley*
Interaction Designer - Software Engineer, RedHat, Inc.
100 E Davie St, Raleigh, NC 27601

priley at redhat.com | office: 919-890-8331 | mobile: 859-536-6767