[Patternfly] Consequences of removing the /dist folder

Brian Leathem bleathem at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 20:18:51 UTC 2016

Hello all,

We are in the process of removing the /dist folder from the patternfly core
repo [1] to be rebuilt using a travis pipeline and committed in a "release"
branch.  However we've noticed a couple unfortunate consequences of this
change, specifically with our workflow based around sharing "test" pages.

1) sharing of test pages on individual forks is no longer straightforward,
as they would not be available by default on the checked out branch

2) viewing of test pages to associated PRs is no longer straightforward,
ans the test pages are not included in the "release" branch until the PR is
merged to master

Dana and Dan have worked out a travis script [2] to automatically build a
"release" branch for every branch in an appropriately configured fork.
This resolves 1), although at the expense of creating a lot of branches.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on another way to deal with
the availability of the test pages when they are not included in the master
branch?  Feel free to ask for any clarifications if I didn't explain our
scenario well.

- Brian

[1] https://patternfly.atlassian.net/browse/PTNFLY-1589
[2] https://github.com/patternfly/patternfly/pull/380