Re: [Patternfly] Truncation guidance for long names

Hi Matt / all,

This gets tricky when you have machine names in your listings!
my_super_important_vm_1
my_super_important_vm_2
his_super_important_vm_1

^ Either way you truncate that "column", someone's going to lose some important info, and looking through the column will be frustrating for the users.

In oVirt, we take the simple approach and truncate at the end. And, in most places where there is truncation, hovering over the truncated string shows you (via tooltip) the entire string:

Inline image 1

My recommendation for PatternFly: recommend / default to end truncation with "...". I like the hover-show-full-name feature -- that's something UX people should discuss re: if it should exist and what it would look like. (We use PF tooltips, but I could see other widgets being useful.)

Best wishes,
Greg